Various: Inmate fatally shot himself after escaping Correctives staff

Tele: Wollongong: Inmate fatally shot himself after escaping Correctives staff

An inmate from South Coast Correctional Centre has died after shooting himself in the neck during a dramatic chase through the Wollongong CBD.

A major police operation was sparked on the corner of Gladstone Ave and Crown Street about noon after several reports a man in his 30s had been shot in the side of the neck during an incident with Corrective Services staff.

CPR was performed by paramedics, however, the man, aged 37, died at the scene.

It’s understood the man was being transferred from the jail at South Nowra to Wollongong for a medical appointment, when he “overpowered” a female Corrective Services officer and got hold of her gun, before taking off along Crown Street.

A heavy police presence on Crown Street, Wollongong.

A witness who wished to remain anonymous told the Illawarra Star he saw the man run down Crown Street dressed in his prison greens “waving” a gun around.

“He was running with a gun in his hand, then he shot at a truck,” the man said.

Another witness said she saw the man fire two shots at a police car on the corner of Crown Street, before running down Gladstone Ave.

A spokesman for NSW Police confirmed the shots had been fired at a police car by the inmate.

“During the incident, a police Dog Unit vehicle was driving past and was allegedly hit with a bullet. The officer and his dog were not injured,” police said in a statement.

Corrective Services are investigating how the inmate got hold of the gun.

It’s understood the man then shot himself in the neck with the correctional officer’s gun, after running into a driveway at the Piccadilly Centre as several police cars arrived at the scene.

The female corrections officer was taken to Wollongong Hospital after the incident but is understood not to have any injuries.

In a statement on Wednesday afternoon, Corrective Services NSW said it was investigating the circumstances surrounding the man’s death.

The 37-year-old man suffered serious self-inflicted injuries during an escort to a medical facility at approximately midday today and died a short time later,” the statement read.

“All deaths in custody are subject to a coronial inquest.”


Categories: ALL POSTS