The Young Witness: Threat made to stab police officers with broken glass

A man from Jamisontown who threatened to stab police officers in Young with a broken glass has narrowly avoided more time in jail.

Dale Wade Blake, 34, said “shoot me” when police drew a firearm during a dramatic arrest behind Young Police Station on Marina Street about 8.30pm on Tuesday, December 1, according to police facts.

Blake, who was working as a farm hand in Young, was sentenced at Young Local Court on Tuesday, December 8 to two years in prison to be served in the community under an intensive corrections order.

A police statement tendered at court highlighted how Blake had been walking along Wombat Street in Young with a broken glass bottle when he contacted the Triple Zero emergency number.

He provided the operator with his full name and date of birth, and said he would “smash” the Young Police Station and “stab the first police officer that comes out”.

That information was broadcast by police radio and officers patrolling Marina Street observed Blake holding a bottle.

Police tried to deploy capsicum spray however it was not effective due to the weather at the time.

A police constable drew a firearm and Blake responded “shoot me”.

Blake dropped the bottle and the police officer holstered his weapon and tackled Blake to the ground where he was arrested.

Police say they had genuine fear Blake intended to harm them, having made “clear intent to stab police when speaking to Triple Zero operator”, police said.

Police also said Blake was in distance to cause serious harm or worse to the police officers at the scene.

At court, Blake, who appeared via audio visual link from jail, said he’d like to “shake the [police] officers’ hands face-to-face” and apologise.

“I’m embarrassed,” he said.

“The whole thing could have ended in such disaster,” his solicitor said.

He pleaded guilty to armed with intent to commit indictable offence, and commit s114 offence having previous conviction.

Categories: ALL POSTS